There is nothing quite like eating hot tortilla chips fresh from the fryer. At Mi Rancho, we have found one of the best ways to experience Pure Tortilla Joy, is to make your own tortilla chips at home. Whether you’re a professional chef at a restaurant using our pre-cut tortilla chips or making your own, it couldn’t be easier.
You can use fresh, or even leftover tortillas; in fact, a drier tortilla will fry up even crispier, so it’s a perfect way to squeeze a little more joy out of those extra tortillas in the package.
To make your own pre-cut chips, start with your favorite Mi Rancho organic, stone-ground corn tortillas. Stack 4-6 of the old world tortillas on top of each other. With a chef’s knife, cut the stack into 4-6 pieces the same way you would cut a pizza.
- Bring the pre-cut chips to room temperature before frying.
- Canola or safflower oil is recommended but other cooking oils can be used, if preferred.
- Fill the fryer with oil to manufacturer’s recommended level. (A wire basket is recommended for easy removal, if available).
- Don’t worry if you don’t have a fryer, you can use a large stock pot and fill it 1/3 of the way.
- Heat oil from 325°F to 350°F before adding chips. (Change oil frequently and avoid frying other items in the same oil.)
- Fluff the pre-cut chips to be sure each chip is separated.
- Avoid overloading. Chips should be free to move around. Spread around with a long-handled slotted spoon or by lightly moving the basket to avoid clumping.
- Remove chips once they stop bubbling, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lightly salt to taste and proudly serve warm!
Check out our recipe page for more great Pure Tortilla Joy ideas!
Why should your chips have all the fun? Follow the same instructions above to create your own taco shells or tostadas. Just be sure to use tongs to hold the tortilla in the desired position. For these options, you may want to use a frying pan instead and use less oil.