2 hr 45 min
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 18 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 dried chile ancho or pasilla
- 2 dried chile guajillo
- 4 tomatoes, whole
- 2 tomatillos, whole
- 1/2 medium yellow or white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Mi Rancho Organic Corn Tortilla, toasted
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
Serve with rice
Boil meat in water with salt and bay leaves for 2 hrs. Remove the meat and allow it to rest.
Add the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, onion and dried chilies to the pot and allow them to simmer until they’re cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer them to a blender, along with the seasonings, toasted tortilla and 2 cups of the beef stock from the pot. Blend until completely smooth, then transfer this back to the pot.
Shred the beef and add this to the pot, along with the potatoes and carrots. Allow them to simmer until they’re fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
Serve with rice and fresh tortillas.