Pozole VerdeVirginia LaVere
Cool weather has us craving large bowls of hot soup. Ginny’s Pozole Verde is a broth-based soup full of chicken, hominy, tomatillos and Anaheim chiles. Its rich flavor is balanced by the large selection of toppings each person can add to their individual bowl, including crunchy tortilla strips, avocado, radishes and shredded cabbage.
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 10-12 fresh Tomatillos, (shucked, rinsed and quartered)
- 4-6 cups uncooked boneless Chicken Breast or Thighs, cut into approximately 1” cubes
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 5 fresh Anaheim Chiles, (rinsed, split, seeded and cut into 1” pieces)
- 3 Jalapeños or 1 Serrano, (depending on your heat preference, chopped finely
- 1 can Hominy, (29 oz) drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Organic Corn Tortillas (fried into strips)
- Shredded Cabbage
- Shredded Jack Cheese
- White Onion, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Hot Sauce
Add this to your recipe box by clicking and printing here!
In a large stock pot on medium heat, sauté onion in 2 TBL oil. Add chicken, salt, pepper, cumin and garlic, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Add broth, tomatillos and chiles.
Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer approximately 1 hour, until chicken is completely tender and tomatillos are limp. Mash with a potato masher to break up tomatillos. Add drained hominy, and additional salt, pepper and cumin if desired for more flavor. Simmer 15 minutes longer.
Cut Organic Corn Tortillas into strips and fry in canola oil until crispy. Remove and place on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
Serve in large bowls and top generously with garnishes.